CODA Biotherapeutics (www.codabiotherapeutics.com) is an early-stage venture backed biotechnology company located in South San Francisco, California. Our chemogenetics platform aims to treat neurological indications through modulation of specific target cell activity utilizing engineered ligand gated ion-channels delivered via gene therapy. The engineered ligand-gated ion channels are designed to interact with defined small molecule therapeutics and act as a switch to activate or inactivate specific neuronal populations as a means for treating neurological diseases.
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic candidate for the role of Scientist, Receptor Biology. This is a fantastic opportunity to make a significant impact as a scientifically motivated self-starter capable of independently conceiving, conducting, and critically analyzing his/her own work with minimal supervision.
- Responsibilities:Design and Evaluation of Recombinant Viral Vectors (e.g. AAV, HSV, LV) to Transduce Mammalian Cell Cultures: Design and evaluate recombinant viral vectors for targeted delivery and expression of engineering ligand-gated ion channels in mammalian cells.
- Optimize expression of functional ion channels: Use techniques in biochemistry and molecular biology to characterize the folding, transport, and expression of ligand-gated ion channels; determine conditions for proper folding and expression of ligand-gated channels in different mammalian cell cultures.
- Mammalian Cell Culture of Different Cell Types: Maintain different cell types for profiling ligand-gated ion channels, including mammalian cell lines, primary tissue cultures, and/or hiPSC- derived cell types
- Organization and Communication of Data: Analyze, interpret, and communicate data in written and oral modalities in both informal and formal settings. Generate and manage meticulous method protocols, data, and analysis reports in a clear and highly organized fashion.
- B.S., M.S., or PhD degree in neuroscience, molecular biology, protein biochemistry or related field with at least 7, 5, or 3 years, respectively, of post-degree research experience.
- Strong background and experience in receptor biology including protein folding, transport to the membrane, and cell surface characterization, with experience in ligand-gated ion channels a large plus.
- Experience designing and using recombinant viral vector systems (e.g. AAV, LV, and/or HSV) for the transduction of mammalian cells, particularly with cell surface receptors; experience with viral vector packaging, purification, and quality assurance a major plus.
- Experience using techniques in biochemistry and molecular biology to characterize surface protein folding, transportation, and surface expression (e.g. inhibitor assays of formation/degradation pathways, fluorescent tagging with imaging or flow cytometry, NMR-based characterization).
- Experience with mammalian cell lines and/or primary cell lines. Experience with HEK cells, and/or primary central and peripheral-neuronal cultures and/or human-IPSC derived neurons is a major plus; Experience with multi-electrode arrays to characterize cell culture activity is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of ion channels; particularly experience with ligand-gated ion channels, especially any experience with mutational analysis is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of MS office, data plotting and graphing software and able to communicate results effectively.
- Dynamic self-starter with a drive for results.
- Motivates others to do their best; celebrates differences; team-oriented.
- Strong attention to detail
- Impeccable integrity
- Scientific curiosity paired with a strong work ethic and grit
- Thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial setting and fluidly adapts to change
- Embraces the lean start-up mentality and never says or enjoys hearing “that’s not my job.”
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: commensurate with role and experience
CODA Biotherapeutics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, generous paid time off and much more.