This Patient Services Representative/ Call Center Representative is responsible for managing incoming/outgoing calls and medical office reception activities including, but not limited to, accurate documentation, responding to complex inquiries regarding current or prospective patients, patient-flow management, and customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to incoming calls with excellent customer service skills. This may require scheduling appointments, creating telephone encounters, transferring calls to the appropriate person or department, handling complex customer service inquiries, and/or conducting service recovery for dissatisfied customers.
- Documents pertinent patient information and call activities in the appropriate database or software system (eCW, TruCare, Salesforce, etc.)
- Accurately schedules appointments through the identification of available times, verifies patient demographic and insurance information, and confirms appointments prior to the appointment date/time. Reminds patients to bring all current medications to their appointment and notifies them about financial responsibilities (co-pays, co-insurance, past due balances).
- Creates charts for new patients in the electronic medical record (EMR) and updates EMR charts for existing patients by capturing and documenting complete demographic and insurance information.
- Participates in routine outreach call activities to bring patients in for needed services within established timeframes. This includes but is not limited to initial comprehensive exams for new patients, post-discharge appointments, and services recommended by the patient’s health plan. Also performs telephonic outreach for Concerto-sponsored events.
- Provides assistance to patients/members who need to contact Michigan ENROLLS, a specific health plan, or a benefit consultant.
- Calls no-show patients to reschedule appointments.
- Opens incoming mail. Routes incoming mail and faxes to the proper recipient.
- Scans and files documents in the patient’s medical record.
- Keeps immediate work area/waiting area clean and tidy.
- Creative problem solving, critical thinking, and empathy skills are essential. Professional interaction, active and passive listening skills and the ability to utilize computer- based resources in a highly effective manner to educate and provide accurate responses to customer inquiries is crucial for success in the role, along with the innate ability to be compassionate and empathetic.
- Completes all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1 year experience working in a hospital or medical practice required. Call center experience a plus.
- Intermediate proficiency working in Microsoft Office and experience working with electronic health records.
- Working knowledge of patient privacy laws (HIPAA), basic medical terminology, health benefits plans, and medical procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to perform in high volume fast paced medical office or call center environment.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a productive member of a team