The Finance Data Specialist position is part of the Finance team, with a focus on financial reporting and data analytics. This role is responsible for leveraging and presenting financial data to help business leaders make optimal decisions. The role reports to the Senior Financial Manager and assists the Senior Financial Analyst. It involves frequent interaction with the IT team, external partners and senior executives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform analytics to support PL’s reporting by department, product and market, with particular focus on utilization, cost, revenue, risk scores (“RAF”), claims data and membership data.
- Create, modify SQL queries and/or stored procedures to support monthly reporting and ad-hoc analyses.
- Conduct ETL of complex claims, revenue data from multiple sources to centralized Finance database.
- Analyze and interpret expected versus actual received revenue. Understand revenue cycle and identify opportunities for revenue improvement.
- Prepare, analyze and present comprehensive utilization metrics charts for CFO.
- Develop methods for standardizing data collection, database design, validation reports and analysis.
- Work with Medical Economics and other Operational teams to perform health utilization, cost and quality analytics to understand drivers of cost trends.
- Act as a liaison with IT around key analytical reporting, data mining, data quality and organization to support the Finance team as well as the broader organization.
- Support financial forecast modelling and annual budgeting with analytical insights and tools.
- Track issues with reports, including defects in object logic, schema logic, data quality problems and process errors. Understand complete reporting lifecycle to diagnose problems.
- Utilize tools to monitor quality of data and assists in development of corrective action plans when issues are discovered.
- Develop and administer Finance data sources and other analytical tools.
- All duties will be performed with guidance from Senior Financial Analyst.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration or related field
- Two to four years healthcare finance experience with managed care or provider group preferred
- Two to four years of SQL programing experience
- Experience with PBCS/Hyperion
- Advanced level of proficiency with Excel and other office suites.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to manage tight deadlines, prioritize workload and achieve effective results in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Being self-motivated and resourceful; being able to take initiative
- Ability to prepare and validate data and analysis with guidance from senior peers
- MBA preferred