We are currently seeking a resourceful, energetic individual to help develop new products for the company. The successful candidate will have the ability to develop and execute on-time and on-budget development programs that provide comfortable, enduring soft good products for the company. The candidate must have a proven track record with the ability to excel in a fluid, fast-paced, multi-tasking environment and will work out of AlterG’s campus in Fremont, CA.
- Designing comfort and ease of use into the soft goods components of AlterG’s products
- Understanding the demographics of AlterG’s users in terms of their needs, sizes, shapes, and sensitivities
- Exploring new materials and processes related to soft goods
- Concept generation through to detailed production design, including robust documentation
- Ability to rapidly prototype soft goods in a variety of forms, from large air bags, to shorts for small people, to pads for robots
- Understanding of how to transform three dimensional forms into two dimensional flat patterns and back again
- Familiarity with scaling to production from a single rough prototype to hundreds of finished goods in a variety of graded sizes
- Experienced designing with a wide variety of fabrics, materials, fasteners, and construction techniques
- Support manufacturing as needed to transition design into manufacturable end-product
- Capable of evaluating cost reduction opportunities and charting the appropriate course of action to optimize ROI on projects.
- Performing other work-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in design, fashion and/or engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience
- You are fascinated by the intersection between designing with fabrics, fashion, and technology
- Spend your waking hours, and some of your sleeping hours, thinking about comfort, fit, and how to make garment work better, as well as look better
- Consider smart garments a smart idea
- Are keenly user-focused and have a desire to improve the human condition
- Ideal candidate will have experience in a variety of bonding techniques including stitching, seam-taping, RF welding and adhesives
- Enjoy working in a collaborative, multi-project environment with engineers and marketing personnel alike
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.