Research Associate, Neurobiology
CODA Biotherapeutics (www.codabiotherapeutics.com) is an early-stage venture-backed biotechnology company located in South San Francisco, California. Our chemogenetics platform aims to treat neurological indications through modulation of specific target cell activity utilizing engineered ligand-gated ion channels delivered via gene therapy. The engineered ligand-gated ion channels are designed to interact with defined small molecule therapeutics and act as a switch to activate or inactivate specific neuronal populations as a means for treating neurological diseases.
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic candidate for the role of Research Associate, Cell Biology / Electrophysiology. This individual will work under the guidance of a scientist to support characterization of our engineered ligand-gated ion channels using electrophysiology assays in the lab. The ideal candidate is open-minded, trainable, and enthusiastic about research.
- Responsibilities: Cell Culture: Responsible for maintaining, transfecting, and transducing mammalian cell lines and primary neurons
- Solution Preparation: Responsible for making solutions, buffers, compound dilutions to support electrophysiology assays
- Organization and Communication of Data: Analyze and communicate data in written and oral modalities in both informal and formal settings; generate and manage meticulous method protocols, data, and analysis reports in a clear and highly organized fashion
- General lab duties: Ordering, receiving and stocking supplies, inventory tracking, lab organization/maintenance and maintaining equipment
- B.S in Neuroscience or other Biological Sciences and at least 1-2 years of post-degree research experience in an academic or industry setting is required.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture, isolating and culturing primary neurons from rodents, imaging with fluorescence-based microscopy.
- Proficiency in standard lab calculations (dilutions, molarity, unit conversion, etc.).
- Proficiency with common laboratory equipment (balances, pH meter, osmometer, etc.).
- Experience with common lab practices and safety.
- Familiarity with gene expression constructs, basic molecular biology (e.g. PCR, cloning) and biochemistry (e.g. western blotting)
- Good working knowledge of MS office, data plotting and graphing software and ability to communicate results effectively.
- 2-3 years of post-degree research experience in an academic or industry setting preferred
- Familiarity with ion channels, GPCRs, chemogenetics, and/or optogenetics
- Experience in culturing and differentiating human iPSCs
- Good knowledge of basic physics, e.g. ohm’s law, components in an electrical circuit
- Experience with whole-cell manual patch clamp is a plus.
- Experience working with viral vectors (AAV,HSV, LV)
- Dynamic self-starter with a drive for results
- Motivates others to do their best; celebrates differences; team-oriented
- Strong attention to detail
- Impeccable integrity
- Scientific curiosity paired with a strong work ethic and grit
- Thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial setting and fluidly adapts to change as the company grows
- Embraces the lean start-up mentality and never says or enjoys hearing “that’s not my job”
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: commensurate with role and experience
CODA Biotherapeutics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, generous paid time off and much more.