The Director of Finance is a key member of the leadership team with primary responsibility for company-wide financial planning, budgeting, reporting and analysis. Reporting to the CEO, this role will be expected to partner with all departments to develop and manage corporate budgets as well as program specific annual budget and long-term plan models. The Director of Finance will oversee and manage all financial and accounting functions including: management and board reporting; oversight and collaboration with accounting and payroll contractors and interface with auditors and tax consultants.
• Partner with the CEO, and senior management in developing the long-term plan. Develop the five-year financial planning model for the Company inclusive of discreet planning models for each of the clinical development programs in progress or planned. Leverage baseline assumptions from the five-year plan to feed the annual budget process as baseline budget guidance to provide the foundation for scenario planning and financial analysis.
• Direct the process for developing the annual operating budget. This process involves communication and coordination with all department heads and the senior management team. Interact with senior management in the development of budget assumptions for each of the clinical programs, as well as for corporate level objectives and strategic issues to be incorporated into the annual budget and planning process.
• As a key member of a start-up biotech team, the candidate will also provide key support to fundraising and business development activities.
• Design and direct the preparation of financial analyses which aid senior management decisions and support a range of resource allocation and strategic planning activities as well as periodic accounting and financial close work, including:
- Monthly department level budget v. actual reporting in support of the monthly close process.
- Quarterly management reporting package.
- Periodic Senior Management Team financial reviews.
- Serve as a strategic and operational partner with the CEO and other senior managers in determining key strategic business objectives.
- Manage company’s option-based incentive plan.
- Support fundraising efforts completing necessary reports, analysis and documents to be presented to potential investors.
- Support preparation of financial board decks to present to board members and investors at board meetings.
- Integrate new planning systems/applications with ERP syste.
- Implement and oversee a formal capital planning and allocation proces.
- Provide real-time FP&A support for all corporate functional area.
- Perform ad-hoc duties as required.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities in a hands-on, dynamic and high growth environment.
- Strategic thinker and problem-solver capable of identifying risks and risk mitigation strategies.
- Strong teamwork, negotiation and influencing skills, able to work in a team setting and establish clear and consistent goals and objectives.
- Must be hands on, detailed oriented, self-driven and goal-oriented.
- Life Sciences experience critical, specifically modeling and tracking clinical trials activity.
- Ability to drive process improvements and develop analytical/reporting tools.
- Good communication skills (both written and oral), ability to present to senior leadership, Board of Directors, and Investors.
- Excellent analytical skills and solid understanding of GAAP.
- Strong financial planning experience required, including preparation of complex annual and long-term budget
- BA/BS required; MBA preferred. 8+ years of progressive financial planning experience.
Highly developed Excel skills, ERP (NetSuite) and financial planning systems knowledge
An attractive compensation package commensurate with this senior leadership role will be provided.