BlueRock Therapeutics is a cutting-edge cell therapy company at the confluence of pluripotent cell biology and genome engineering, and is focused on three therapeutic areas: Cardiology, Neurology and Immunology. The BlueRock platform combines the power of both cell and gene engineering to develop therapeutics based on the use of pluripotent stem cell banks which have been engineered for allogeneic use and for augmented function.
BlueRock is building an R & D team in Cambridge MA focused on genome engineering of pluripotent stem cells and immune cells. The Genome Engineering Research team will encompass mastery of gene editing techniques, development of a gene circuitry and synthetic biology toolbox, advance analytical tools, and collaboration with the Genome Engineering Process Development team to support process development and cGMP genome engineering. This team is expected to create the industry leading genome engineering platform by innovative internal discovery and external alliance partnerships.
BlueRock`s ambition is to have an R&D team of dynamic and highly engaged and inspired top scientists in one of the most rapidly growing scientific fields of cell therapy. At BlueRock we value open communication, collaboration and a positive and fun working environment in which both individual and team contributions are recognized. Our world-class management team is committed to fostering the growth and career development of employees.
The Director of Genome Engineering Research is expected to build an energized and innovative team capable of advancing key elements of the genome engineering platform. These include:
- Expertise in Crispr based gene editing design and delivery platforms including AAV and RNA based nucleoprotein complexes
- Contribute to the design and implementation of advanced HLA engineering strategies
- Capability in genome engineering using homologous recombination mediated by AAV
- Utilization of computational biology tools for genome integrity and genome editing design strategy
- Development of appropriate analytics for gene editing delivery platforms and analysis of editing fidelity and off target effects
- Design and implementation of synthetic biology gene circuitry
- Collaboration with the BlueRock Development team to bring gene edited cell therapeutics to pilot MFG and regulatory review
- Growth and management of a BlueRock research team in Genome Engineering aligned with the objectives bulleted above
- Provide strategic and scientific input into platform development by interaction with Senior Leadership teams
- Work with Program leads and project managers to ensure that strategy, decision making, timeline, budget and execution are aligned with expectations
- Manage external contract relationships and sponsored research as relevant to the program
- Build international presence in genome editing technology internally at meetings, and externally at global conferences
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders and continuous learning/improvements.
- Perform additional duties to support the safe and efficient operation of the laboratory, and other duties as assigned.
- Budget management responsibilities
- PhD or equivalent training in molecular biology, cell biology or related discipline with 8+ years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience and technology expertise on gene editing technologies
- An established international reputation and recognition for work done within the gene editing or stem cell community
- At least 8 years of experience in building and managing a research team and pipeline research program, preferably in industry
- Experience in hiring, supervising, developing and evaluating employees in a matrix or distributed environment
- Proven ability to lead teams by example and promote company culture. Experience in strategic planning, project, leadership, laboratory and budget management
- Extensive experience in stem cell biology or cellular therapies desired
- Motivated to build a culture of innovation with aspirations to develop products that will change the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
- Excellent problem solver and time management skills
Equal Opportunity Workplace: At BlueRock, we welcome and support differences and diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodation or other grounds protected by human rights legislation during the recruitment process so that we can work with you to meet your needs