BlueRock Therapeutics is developing cell products for the brain and the heart, emphasizing central nervous disease and a lead program using dopaminergic neurons for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease. The New York team is recruiting a key team member, (Senior) Director of Pre-Clinical Neurosciences, for the role of managing the pre-clinical research of the CNS program. In addition, this position will evaluate and recommend new research opportunities outside the current programs centered in New York. This position will report to the VP Clinical Translation and manage and grow a team of scientists with various responsibilities and programs in CNS biology. This is an outstanding opportunity for a talented scientist to contribute to bringing a new class of medicines to patients and gain valuable career experience in translational medicine.
- Manage a team of senior scientists, leading BlueRock’s CNS pipeline products
- Be the scientific point of contact for BlueRock pre-clinical pipeline
- Provide scientific input into the biology of CNS research
- Provide strategic input into CNS research direction by interaction with the Executive and other Management teams
- Manage external SRA program(s) and establish a world class research pipeline
- Pursue non-dilutional funding (SBIR, DARPA) to build next generation BlueRock platform and products
- External facing role for the company in the areas of CNS research, development and technology internally at meetings, and externally at global conferences
- Prepare and present hypotheses, on-going progress reports, technical reports and future plans (including contributing to budgets and complement plans).
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders and continuous learning/improvements.
- Perform additional duties to support the safe and efficient operation of the laboratory, and other duties as assigned.
- Budget management responsibility
- M.D. or Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline
- Hands-on experience and technology expertise on differentiation protocols
- An established international reputation and recognition for work done within the stem cell community is preferred
- At least 4 years of experience in building and managing a research team and pipeline research program in CNS sciences, preferably in industry
- Experience in hiring, supervising, developing and evaluating employees in a matrix or distributed environment
- Proven ability to lead teams by example and promote company culture
- Experience in strategic planning, project leadership, laboratory and budget management
- Extensive experience in cellular CNS biology, stem cell biology, cellular therapies.
- Proven ability to champion and advance innovative concepts from benchtop to preclinical PoC
- Motivated to build a culture of innovation with aspirations to develop products that will change the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
- Excellent problem solver and time management skills.
- Self-motivated and willing to accept temporary responsibilities outside of initial job description
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced start-up environment with minimum direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Develops and maintains cross-functional working relationships and partnerships
- Team Player
- Candidate will be working in office and controlled laboratory environments.
- There is a risk of potential exposure to chemicals and biohazards consistent with somatic cell therapy culture.
- Working in the laboratory requires mandatory use of personal protective equipment.
- Understanding and compliance to an aseptic environment as required
- Travel required (mostly to our other sites in Boston and Toronto)