The Discovery Team at Black Diamond Therapeutics is looking for a creative and self-motivated Medicinal Chemistry Lead with broad experience to apply her/his expertise and knowledge in the art of medicinal chemistry to our drug discovery programs.
Reporting to the VP Chemistry, and based in our office in Cambridge, USA, the right candidate will help to drive the medicinal chemistry effort, working across all stages of discovery from early target selection through to development candidate nomination. She/he will interact and collaborate crossfunctionally with scientists across the organization and will have the opportunity to co-lead discovery project teams. Key Responsibilities:
• You will be leading external teams and developing strategy across early discovery projects, influencing our lead generation strategy, and driving our projects through hit to lead and lead optimization.
• You are a dedicated drug-hunter with deep appreciation of the importance of simultaneously optimizing all aspects of a molecule.
• Work alongside computational chemists and structural biologists to contribute, assist and advise in the design, evaluation, and prioritization of new analogues for key medicinal chemistry projects.
• Assist in the selection and supervision of a team of chemists at our CRO partners.
• Collaborate across functions including DMPK, biology and bioinformatics to deliver clinical candidates targeting allosteric mutant proteins.
• You may be asked to evaluate, select, and establish collaborations to expand our capabilities.
• You will thoroughly review and understand the competitive environment and ensure your projects offer differentiated molecules and fulfill our promise to deliver therapies that treat unmet medical needs.
• You will aid and support in the preparation and filing of patent applications.
Experience & Qualifications:
• You have a MS or Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, synthetic methodology or a related field.
• You have ten or more years of relevant experience to medicinal chemistry, working in the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry.
• You have led and participated in the delivery of clinical candidates from discovery into development.
• You have an exemplary track record as an expert in your field, evidenced by being an author/inventor on high impact, peer-reviewed publications and patents.
• You thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
• You have experience with a variety of lead generation and optimization strategies.
• You have worked across a range of therapeutic areas. Experience in oncology is a plus.
• You embrace the use of modern medicinal chemistry discovery tools to enhance compound designs and enjoy structure-based drug design.
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills are required.
• You are an excellent communicator, a supportive team member and mentor who leads by example.
• You have a strategic perspective and demonstrated ability to work in a rapidly changing, fastpaced environment.
• You are committed to building and maintaining an energetic, collaborative, and open culture.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform he essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; used hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb the stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 20 lbs.