Who is BlueRock?
BlueRock is a leading engineered cell therapy company using its unique CELL+GENE™ platform to direct cellular differentiation and genetically engineer cells to create a new generation of cellular medicines that address large patient populations suffering from neurological, cardiovascular, and immunology diseases.
The convergence of cell biology and genetic engineering is creating fundamental new ways to impact disease. Founded in 2016 to capitalize on these technological breakthroughs, we are advancing our novel CELL+GENE™ platform to develop, manufacture, and deliver an entirely new generation of authentic and engineered cell therapies across three therapeutic areas: neurology, cardiology, and immunology.
What Are We Doing?
Our foundational science harnesses the ability to create and then direct the differentiation of universal pluripotent stem cells into authentic, functional cells that can be used as allogeneic cellular therapies to treat a broad array of diseases. We can also further engineer these cells, enabling them to produce enzymes, antibodies, and other proteins for additional therapeutic benefit.
We are passionate about delivering on the promise of cellular and gene therapy, shaping the future of cellular medicine, and delivering new therapies to millions of patients with treatment options.
We are seeking individuals who are collaborative, thrive in a fun and dynamic culture, and are steadfast in the commitment to advance cutting-edge cellular therapies to impact patients’ lives.
Description of Position:
BlueRock is seeking a key member of the leadership team for the role of directing preclinical, translational and IND-enabling research activities of the heart failure program. Expanding on this activity, the candidate will be instrumental in building a research program portfolio providing a powerful pipeline in cardiovascular disease. This position will evaluate and recommend new research opportunities in the cardiovascular disease area. This position will report to the CSO and will guide and build an initial team of scientists with various responsibilities and programs in cardiovascular biology and will recruit and grow a world-recognized organization. This is an outstanding opportunity for a talented scientist to contribute to bringing a new class of medicines to patients and gain valuable career experience in translational medicine.
- Build and lead the cardiology preclinical research team as well as provide strategic oversight and guidance on preclinical approaches to the broader teams involved in cardiology.
- Lead the BlueRock Cardiac Heart Failure program into IND enabling non-clinical studies by interfacing with BlueRock functions, including Development, Manufacturing and Cell Platform.
- Build strong collaborative efforts to strengthen internal capabilities.
- Be the scientific point of contact for BlueRock’s collaborative and co-development activity in cardiac disease.
- Instrumental scientific leadership of the cardiovascular research team and pipeline.
- Oversee the external cardiac collaborations and establish a world class research pipeline and strong relationships with thought leaders in the field.
- Responsible for design, execution and reporting of non-clinical studies in support of Regulatory submissions.
- Lead Cardiac space research programs and carry through initial Regulatory feedback and decision to develop.
- Provide strategic input into cardiac research direction by interaction with the Executive team and other Management teams
- Build independent research program to enhance platform capacity in gene editing and therapeutic protein secretion with cardiovascular disease as a driver for platform build
- External facing role for the company in the areas of cardiovascular research, development and technology internally at meetings, and externally at global conferences
- Budget management responsibility
- Maintain high profile, international, scientific visibility
- PhD and/or MD in a relevant discipline (cardiovascular research, stem cell biology, regenerative medicine) is preferred, but candidates with significant relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree will be considered
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Strong experience and proven track record with advanced in vivo cardiology/heart failure animal models and research
- Minimum of 5 years of scientific leadership, building, managing and mentoring a team in the cardiology research area is required
- Experience in the life sciences industry is preferred
- Background in regenerative medicine and/or gene therapy/editing preferred but not required
- Technology expertise on differentiation protocols
- Extremely effective communicator and leader with excellent organization skills
- Experience in strategic planning, project leadership, laboratory and budget management are required
- Proven ability to champion and advance innovative concepts from benchtop to clinical entry
- Proven ability to lead teams by example and promote company culture
- Motivation to build a culture of innovation with aspirations to develop products that will change the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Office, Laboratory and clinical environments.
Equal Opportunity Workplace: At BlueRock, we welcome and support differences and diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodation or other grounds protected by human rights legislation during the recruitment process so that we can work with you to meet your needs.