Black Diamond Therapeutics is a precision oncology medicine company pioneering the discovery and development of small molecule, tumor-agnostic therapies. Black Diamond targets undrugged mutations in patients with genetically defined cancers for whom limited treatment options currently exist. Black Diamond is built upon a deep understanding of cancer genetics, protein structure and function, and medicinal chemistry. The Company’s proprietary technology platform, Mutation-Allostery-Pharmacology, or MAP, platform, is designed to allow Black Diamond to analyze population-level genetic sequencing data to identify oncogenic mutations that promote cancer across tumor types, group these mutations into families and develop a single small molecule therapy in a tumor-agnostic manner that targets a specific family of mutations.
The Discovery Team at Black Diamond Therapeutics is looking for a creative and self-motivated scientist with broad experience to apply her/his expertise and knowledge in the art of medicinal chemistry to our drug discovery programs.
Based in our office in Cambridge, USA, the right candidate will help to drive the medicinal chemistry effort, working across all stages of discovery from early target selection through to development candidate nomination. She/he will interact and collaborate cross-functionally with scientists across the organization and may be asked to co-lead discovery project teams.
- You will be leading external teams and developing strategy across early discovery projects, influencing our lead generation strategy, and driving our projects through hit to lead and lead optimization.
- You are a dedicated drug-hunter with deep appreciation of the importance of simultaneously optimizing all aspects of a molecule
- Work alongside computational chemists and structural biologists to contribute, assist and advise in the design, evaluation, and prioritization of new analogues for key medicinal chemistry projects
- Supervision of a team of chemists at our CRO partners
- Collaborate across functions including DMPK, biology and bioinformatics to deliver clinical candidates targeting allosteric mutant proteins
- You may be asked to evaluate, select, and establish collaborations to expand our capabilities.
- You will thoroughly review and understand the competitive environment and ensure your projects offer differentiated molecules and fulfill our promise to deliver therapies that treat unmet medical needs
- You will aid and support in the preparation and filing of patent applications
- You have a MS or Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, synthetic methodology or a related field.
- You have seven or more years of relevant experience to medicinal chemistry, working in the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry
- You have a track record as an expert in your field, evidenced by being an author/inventor on high impact, peer-reviewed publications and patents.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- You have experience with a variety of lead generation and optimization strategies
- Experience in oncology is a plus.
- You embrace the use of modern medicinal chemistry discovery tools to enhance compound designs and enjoy structure-based drug design.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills are required.
- You are an excellent communicator, a supportive team member who leads by example.
- You are committed to building and maintaining an energetic, collaborative, and open culture.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform he essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; used hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb the stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 20 lbs.