Chinook Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapeutics with novel mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. The development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs and defined and rapid clinical development opportunities. Chinook recently in-licensed a late-stage product, atrasentan, and plans to initiate a phase 3 trial for chronic kidney disease during 2020. Our pipeline has several other internal programs at the validation and lead optimization stages, the first of which is rapidly progressing to enter clinical trials by 2021. We are also evaluating business development opportunities for early and late-stage clinical assets to enhance the pipeline.
Chinook has raised a $65 million Series A financing from top tier venture capital firms Versant Ventures, Apple Tree Partners, and Samsara BioCapital. We are a growing team of approximately 30 employees and are based in Vancouver, British Columbia and Seattle, Washington.
Chinook Therapeutics is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative Research Associate or Sr. Research Associate to join the in vivo pharmacology team at our laboratories situated in Vancouver, Canada. The successful candidate will design, plan, execute and analyze in vivo studies for target validation and preclinical research activities. Candidates will rely on their organizational skills and expertise to manage multiple research activities simultaneously and will have the opportunity to interact and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team in a dynamic scientific environment.
• Conduct in vivo PK/PD studies and drug efficacy studies with disease models to support early drug discovery projects
• Organize, execute and maintain multiple in vivo studies running in parallel including data entry and analysis, own responsibility for technical aspects of a project
• Develop and troubleshoot novel in vivo disease models for mechanism of action and biomarker studies
• Prepare clear and concise technical reports, study protocols and data presentations
• Maintain an accurate lab notebook
• Contribute to publications and participate in scientific conferences as applicable
• Serve as a technical resource to junior staff/co-op students and leverage expertise in laboratory technology as a functional resource/trainer
• Contribute to vivarium maintenance and ordering of supplies
Education, Experience and Skills:
• B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree with a minimum of 2 years post-graduate research experience and/or in vivo pharmacology experience in pharmaceutical or biotech industry
• Hands-on experience performing in vivo studies with rodents, including animal handling, multiple routes of dose administration (IV, PO, SC, IM, etc.), blood collection, dissection techniques, necropsies, evaluation of PD endpoints
• Direct experience with animal models of kidney diseases is a plus
• Experience in all aspects of working with animal care committees
• A strong team player with a passion for scientific excellence and drug discovery
• Organized, self-motivated, able to multitask and deliver results with high degree of attention to detail to drive projects forward in a timely manner
• Ability to thrive in a fast-pace, multi-disciplinary environment interacting with a diverse group of experts, comfortable with adjusting workloads based upon changing priorities and willing to take on new tasks
• Excellent cross-functional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Positive attitude and high personal and ethical standards
• Able to work weekends as study schedules dictate
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and disability or any other federal, state, provincial or local protected ground.