Chinook Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapeutics with novel mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. The development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs and defined and rapid clinical development opportunities. Chinook recently in-licensed a late-stage product, atrasentan, and plans to initiate a phase 3 trial for chronic kidney disease during 2020. Our pipeline has several other internal programs at the validation and lead optimization stages, the first of which is rapidly progressing to enter clinical trials by 2021. We are also evaluating business development opportunities for early and late-stage clinical assets to enhance the pipeline.
Chinook has raised a $65 million Series A financing from top tier venture capital firms Versant Ventures, Apple Tree Partners, and Samsara BioCapital. We are a growing team of approximately 30 employees and are based in Vancouver, British Columbia and Seattle, Washington.
Chinook Therapeutics is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative Scientist or Sr. Scientist to join the in vivo Pharmacology team at our laboratories situated in Vancouver, Canada. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading all in vivo pharmacology aspects of preclinical drug discovery programs, designing and performing experiments to enable go/no-go decisions, and contributing to the overall research strategy at Chinook. Experience working with animal models of renal disease and knowledge of renal physiology/pharmacology are valuable assets. The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership and communication skills, will be able to lead projects independently, and will have the opportunity to interact and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team in a dynamic scientific environment.
• Lead all in vivo pharmacology activities for preclinical drug discovery projects and contribute to overall program strategy. Owns responsibility for technical and scientific aspects of a project
• Interact and collaborate with medicinal chemists, biologists and DMPK scientists to advance preclinical projects by designing and performing fit for purpose in vivo pharmacology studies
• Identify and establish in vivo disease models for mechanism of action, efficacy and biomarker studies
• Work collaboratively with a research associate to plan and execute multiple in vivo studies
• Supervise and mentor co-op students and junior members of the Pharmacology team
• In collaboration with senior leadership, make key contributions to the overall Chinook scientific strategy to create precision medicines for kidney disease
• Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive team-focused company culture
Education, Experience and Skills:
• MSc or PhD degree in physiology, pharmacology or related disciplines
• At least 5-10 years of industry experience in in vivo pharmacology
• A proven track-record of drug discovery project leadership in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment
• Extensive hands-on experience designing, performing and interpreting in vivo pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic and drug efficacy studies in rodents
• Broad knowledge in the areas of renal physiology/pharmacology and small molecule therapeutics
• Experience in all aspects of working with animal care committees
• A strong team player with a passion for scientific excellence and drug discovery
• Organized, self-motivated, able to multitask and deliver results with high degree of attention to detail to drive projects forward in a timely manner
• Excellent cross-functional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Positive attitude and high personal and ethical standards
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and disability or any other federal, state, provincial or local protected ground.