The controller will handle high-level accounting, managerial accounting, and oversee financial activities of the company. As head of the accounting and finance department, the controller will manage and supervise all aspects of accounting from payroll to tax compliance. The Controller will report to chief financial officer, and will assist with development of internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Controller include:
- Manage all aspects of accounting; billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, inventory accounting, cost accounting, revenue recognition, and various special analyses.
- Maintain documented system of accounting policies and operations.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Prepare quarterly/annual financial reports for Board of Directors.
- Work with the Company’s senior staff to implement annual budgets and periodic forecasts.
- Organize financial information and statements for annual audits/reviews by external auditors.
- Advise on financial analyses and decision-making regarding capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations, significant costs, benchmarks, and other matters with management.
- Define, benchmark and implement operational best practices.
- Comply with all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting.
- Ensure company complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain financial staff job performance by mentoring, planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business. A CPA and/or MBA are strongly preferred
- Ideal candidate has a minimum of 10 years of experience in field. Prior experience in start-up environments a plus.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) license desired
- Natural curiosity of the business and demonstrated history of scaling a business in an emerging medical technology company.
- Previous experience as a Controller required (at least five years)
- Expertise in managing financial aspects of international operations (e.g. subsidiaries, joint ventures)
- Proficiency with integrated MRP software applications. Knowledge, experience working with Netsuite and Salesforce.com desired
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations
- Attention to detail
- Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members
Compensation: Salary based on experience and qualifications